Environmental Protection & Sustainable Development
July 5 – 14, 2013
Research program including urban and rural site visits in Havana and western Cuba
This Cuba research program takes place during the:
IX International Conference on the Environment and Development
July 8 – 12, 2013
Palace of Conventions, Havana, CUBA
Eco Cuba Network invites professionals, students, practitioners and activists to participate in our biannual research program on environmental protection and sustainable development in Cuba, as well as the opportunity for interchange with participants in the IX International Conference on Environment and Development hosted by the Cuban Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment.
Eco Cuba Network organized the first such US-Cuba research program in July 2001.
This will be our 7th such delegation.
As the largest island in the Caribbean, with the highest percentage of environmental scientists and engineers and a long-standing commitment to policies that promote environmental protection and sustainable development, Cuba is uniquely positioned to provide leadership in enlightened environmental policy and practice in our shared ecosystem. The rationale and potential for mutual collaboration between US and Cuban environmentalists in this vital and shared ecosystem is considerable. Please study our Eco Cuba Network Home, History and Resources pages to learn more about this extraordinary opportunity.
For more information on the conference in Cuba and conference schedule: CITMA Conference. (To read the site in English click on the British flag in the upper left area of the home page.)
For articles, blogs and videos on environmental protection and sustainable development in Cuba: Cuba Resources.
AUDIO SLIDE SHOW (NEW!)
Cuba Naturally by Steven Winter
For program and logistical information on this research tour, please contact Pamela Montanaro, Coordinator, Eco Cuba Network by email or call 510-649-1052.
- Daily meetings with environmental policy makers, scientists and engineers
- Sustainable development projects in Havana and rural Cuba
- Urban gardens and farmers' markets in Havana
- Foundation for Nature and Humanity, meet with staff and board
- Las Terrazas intentional sustainable community in Pinar del Rio
- Ecostation in the Sierra Rosario Biosphere Reserve
- CubaEnergía and Cuba Solar, renewable energy engineers and policy makers
- Neighborhood and community associations involved in sustainable development and environmental protection
- Cultural activities
- Additional meetings according to professional interest
Fee for this program: $2600 from Cancun
• Round trip flight from Cancun
• Three or four star hotel accommodations (double room; $300 for single room)
• 2 meals daily
• Conference fee
• Translation of scheduled program
• Transportation to scheduled events
• Scheduled program fees and speakers stipends
• Cuban visa and required Cuban health insurance
Fee does NOT include:
• Airfare to/from Cancun from home city
• Travel insurance (highly recommended!)
• Hotel and shuttle service in Cancun
• Optional evening cultural activities
• Beverages, bottled water
• Tips, gratuities to Cuban guides, waiters, hotel staff, etc.
• Personal expenditures
How to Register:
Cuba travel for Eco Cuba Network tours is arranged by licensed Cuba Travel Service Provider, Global Exchange Reality Tours, a non profit TSP with over 20 years experience arranging Cuba travel for professional, educational, cultural, and "people to people" delegations to research every aspect of Cuban life.
For the Registration Form for this tour scroll to the bottom of the Global Exchange webpage for the tour. Enter the Custom Tour Code: 2013.7.7
We must receive your application and a non-refundable deposit of $500 two months before departure. Payments by Mastercard, Visa and Discover are welcome. Full payment is due 6 weeks before departure.
This trip will be as diverse as possible in terms of race, age and life experiences. In some cases, a limited number of partial scholarships are available for low-income applicants.